Looking to promote a job opening for a gateway project, service provider, or related technology?
If you have a job opportunity that you’d like to share with the gateway community, please send it to email@example.com with the subject line “Job posting for SGCI website.”
Associate Director, BioHPC at UT Southwestern Medical Center
Associate Director, BioHPC
UT Southwestern has an opening for the position of an Associate Director of the Biomedical High-Performance Computing (BioHPC) team. This is a high level leadership position for a dynamic, technically well-rounded IT expert with significant practical experience in running HPC systems, who seeks new challenges in project and team management. The Associate Director will establish a synergistic interaction with the current Director of BioHPC. Together they will identify priorities for maintenance and growth, outline technical strategies, and oversee a highly motivated staff in the implementation. The precise delineation of responsibilities between Director and Associate Director will be determined during the interview process based on the strengths and preferences of the candidate. Besides strong technical qualifications, it is expected that the candidate commands outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to listen to and reflect on input from a talented staff, brings a high level of self-motivation, and is able to execute professional leadership, also in face of challenge.
Launched six years ago, BioHPC currently consists of 700 nodes (80 GPU nodes) within a computer cluster of 28,000 CPU cores in total, connected to over 28 Petabytes of storage. BioHPC systems are
configured with large amounts of RAM per node (majority 256GB), and high storage throughput (90GB/s), making them ideal for fast and efficient analysis of medical data with modern software. BioHPC integrated approach allows researchers to conveniently run parallel computing tasks, share research data, and monitor the system's status via the Web. BioHPC team, currently staffed by 12 members, the majority with a Ph.D. in computer science or related field, covers all aspects of high-performance computing for users, from systems maintenance through carrying out collaborative work on computational research projects. Overall, BioHPC's mission is to lower the barriers of HPC applications for the biomedical research community of one of the major Academic Medical Centers in the USA.
- Managing day-to-day operations of the BioHPC infrastructure and staff to support the institution's research mission
- Providing consultation services including workshops and presentations on the use of HPC systems and of various programming languages and scientific software to the clinical and basic science research community
- Performing and/or coordinating HPC development projects
- Monitoring the institutional use of research computing and anticipating needs; assisting the Director in strategic planning
- Providing technical direction and guidance to the team in implementing HPC solutions
- Establish effective relationships with vendors
- Manage schedules, deliverables and resource requirements for all compute-intensive scientific research related projects
- Make recommendations regarding recruitment, promotion, and retention of team members
- Develop, train and mentor team members
- 5+ years of HPC experience and leading other leaders in a highly technical environment
- Certified Network, Linux, Storage or/and Database Expert or Master
- Deep experience in customer facing roles with a proven record of earning trust as well as effective collaborations across multiple internal organizations and in interactions with HPC users.
- Deep experience in architecting, deploying and management of HPC solutions.
- Mastery skillset of modern SDLC methods such as GIT, Agile, DevOps, Develops and CI/CD
- Deep experience in current technologies such as
- Singularity/Kubernetes, functional programming languages, pub/sub messaging and RESTful APIs
- Deep experience in scientific programing
- Experience deploying HPC solutions to the cloud
- Experience with system automation
- Experience with shell/scripting languages
- Knowledge of high-performance networks and parallel file systems
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and relationship building skills
Learn more and apply here:
For inquiries please contact