Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City, and the Adirondacks.
Job Description: Information Technology Services (ITS) at the University at Albany seeks applicants for a Research Computing Programmer/Analyst position. The incumbent in this role is responsible for delivering analytical and computational IT solutions to the academic and research community along with supporting the research IT lifecycle to provide sophisticated computational resources. She/He/They works with researchers across disciplines to facilitate research productivity and compliance in a complex, R1 university environment.
Reporting to the Research Technology Manager, the successful candidate works closely with the University's research community to coordinate and implement technologies to fully support the research technical environment.
Primary Responsibilities: Managing relationships/advocating on behalf of the research community
· Foster and maintain communication with researchers of the University and with others in ITS regarding service planning and delivery
· Coordinate research administration systems/applications development and account management
· Provide subject matter expertise for developing advanced data analytics/statistics, visualization, and computational technologies for a range of applications in both academic and research settings
· Provide and support the development of the technical skillset of data and research scientists
Delivering analytical and computational IT solutions to the academic and research community
· Strengthen algorithms and software development to create computing approaches for large data sets
· Maintain and support research application hosting
· Implement and maintain managed scientific computing environments
· Maintain the security posture for assigned systems and applications in accordance with ITS policies, procedures, and industry best practices.
· Participate in the development and maintenance of research systems standards
· Organize and modify research storage requirements
· Provide research Linux support
· Support source control via Gitlab
· Coordinate specialized desktop support for research lab workstations
· Actively participate, as needed, in ITS and campus projects
· Be available to provide scheduled support and consultation outside normal business hours, including occasional evenings, holidays, or weekends, within reasonable professional obligation and expectation
Requirements: Minimum Qualifications:
· Bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization
· A strong interest and experience in research-related computing
· Familiarity with Unix systems/command line/bash required
· 1+ years programming and/or development experience in Python
· Strong familiarity with scientific software packages and programming
· Applicants must address their ability to work with a culturally diverse population in their application or interview
· M.S. degree from a college or University accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization, preferably in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems, Quantitative Social Sciences, or related STEM field
· Knowledge of both relational and non-relational databases and Hadoop-based frameworks
· Demonstrated understanding of statistical hypothesis testing and experimental design, data visualization techniques and tools, and manipulation of large data sets
· Academic or professional experience using quantitative methodologies
· Experience developing customer data management skills for application in various disciplines
· Knowledge of public and proprietary sources of national and global data
· Knowledge of geospatial data and technologies
· Experience building software packages and/or containers using Docker or singularity
· Experience with basic web-delivered data visualization applications
· Demonstrated interest or experience in facilitating user-based software applications that enable research or instructional activities (e.g., statistical software such as R, Python or commercial software products, and associated data visualization technologies such as GGPlot, GoogleVis, Shiny, Plotly, D3)
· Experience in statistics, mathematical modeling, probability, and data visualization
· Familiarity with fundamentals of data management, preservation, and reproducibility
· Familiarity with textual information as structured data, e.g., XML
Additional Information: Professional Rank and Salary Range: Senior Programmer/Analyst SL4
Special Notes: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University's crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University's current campus security policies. The University at Albany's Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Pursuant to NYS Labor Law 194-A, no State entity, as defined by the Law, is permitted to rely on, orally or in writing seek, request, or require in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current wage, or salary history as a condition to be interviewed, or as a condition of continuing to be considered for an offer of employment until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation, and for the purpose of verifying information, may such requests be made. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via https://albany.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=144248
Application Instructions: Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
· Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
· Three professional references with contact information
Note: After submitting your resume, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).