Senior DevOps Engineer
- Published on Wednesday, 19 October 2022 17:23
Requisition ID: 22337
Senior DevOps Engineer
Purdue University’s Research Computing department is committed to promoting and advancing all forms of diversity, equity, inclusion and access (DEIA) to create an environment and culture where the uniqueness of individuals is celebrated and persons from all backgrounds can thrive.
We provide access to leading-edge computational and data storage systems as well as expertise in a broad range of high-performance computing activities. To fulfill our mission, we:
- provide advanced computational resources and services to support Purdue faculty and staff researchers
- evaluate, deploy, and support hardware and software for large-scale scientific computing
- promote the effective use of our research computing systems and application software through training and education, consultation, and documentation
- contribute to the discovery process through algorithm design and development of effective computing techniques
What You'll Be Doing:
As a Senior DevOps Engineer, you will work in a hybrid systems and researcher-facing role, focused on facilitating the adoption of the novel computing resources of the $10M NSF-funded Anvil supercomputer.
Purdue University’s Research Computing department is committed to promoting and advancing all forms of diversity, equity, inclusion, and access (DEIA) to create an environment and culture where the uniqueness of individuals is celebrated and persons from all backgrounds can thrive.
You will facilitate the use of large-scale research computing systems and provide researchers with computational tools and expertise needed to address questions raised by cutting edge research. This position will utilize creativity and innovation to solve computing problems raised by researchers. You will work collaboratively with other staff, campus researchers, national partners and vendors to implement novel computing and data technologies. You will diagnose a wide range of computing problems; design, code, test, debug, install, document and maintain complex programs. As the Senior DevOps Engineer, you will conduct regular training workshops for researchers on computational tools. You will also participate in national computing activities by attending workshops, conferences, and potentially presenting research.
As part of this job you will have the opportunity to learn about the latest advances in high-performance and cloud computing, interact with researchers in academia and industry, and have access to cutting edge hardware and software for scientific computing, including access to the NSF-funded Anvil supercomputer.
- Collaborate with a national audience of researchers to facilitate the adoption of Anvil’s novel computing resources; the Kubernetes-based Anvil Composable Subsystem, Open OnDemand and Thinlinc interactive computing capabilities
- Use DevOps methodologies to develop efficient and cloud-native approaches to scientific computing workflows, including science gateway deployment, deployment of elastic software stacks and interactions between Anvil’s composable, interactive and batch computing resources
- Provide consultation to researchers to determine appropriate solutions based on researchers’ computing needs
- Identify and implement techniques and tools to improve scientific computing workflows
- Respond to user requests, inquiries and issues pertaining to usage of and access to the novel Anvil computing resources. Provide support for onboarding, account creation, access management and education for secure usage of resources
- Resolve user requests and service incidents in a timely manner, supporting the team to perform root cause analysis and producing documentation of results and lessons learned
This is a remote position.
What We're Looking For:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience in developing and deploying software solutions using containers and Kubernetes
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience will be accepted
Skills that look good:
- Ability to work as part of a high performing, diverse team in a collaborative environment
- Success working with stakeholders to integrate cloud native computing techniques to solve business or research problems
- Knowledge of Kubernetes and container runtime interfaces (Docker)
- Experience using DevOps methodologies, Infrastructure as Code (IaC)
- Knowledge of Linux operating system
- Knowledge of scripting languages and version control, i.e. Shell, Python, Git
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize tasks, and complete projects with minimal supervision
- Effective verbal and written English communication skills
- Ability to effectively consult with researchers, make presentations, develop and present training material, and develop documentation
- All new hires will be expected to follow Protect Purdue
- Purdue University will not sponsor employment authorization for this position
- A background check will be required for employment in this position
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contribution Waiting Period
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply
- Benefit Statement: Purdue University offers a substantial Benefit Package including medical, dental, and vision insurance as well as a generous paid time off package for sick and vacation days