The United States Research Software Sustainability Institute (URSSI) is in the planning stages of a potential institute that will focus on software sustainability across all research areas. Some potential objectives for URSSI are to:
• Help research software projects grow, become sustainable, and develop a governance model
• Provide developers with good practices
• Track software impact and usage, which are difficult to measure and interpret
• Help grantees of major funders communicate and share resources with each other
• Give the public a better understanding of science
• Bring more diversity into the field
If you are interested in these topics, or sustainable software more generally, you can join the URSSI mailing list (see the bottom of http://urssi.us) and participate in the URSSI conceptualization discussion and future activities.
Curious to learn more about URSSI? Check out this article published by Better Scientific Software.