Research IT Sr. Systems Engineer - Johns Hopkins
- Published on Wednesday, 13 September 2023 10:23
Job Req ID: 110354
Research IT Sr. Systems Engineer
IT@JH Cloud and Virtualization Services is seeking a Research IT Sr. Systems Engineer who will be responsible for the creation and maintenance of public, hybrid, and private cloud solutions for Research IT (RIT), a new unit within IT@JH Cloud and Virtualization Services, that aims to assist Johns Hopkins researchers with their research compute.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Works with research customers to develop, implement, optimize, and maintain cloud-based research solutions. Customers include researchers as well as the Johns Hopkins Medicine and Johns Hopkins University clinical, administrative, faculty, and research community.
- Ensures that cloud solutions are architected for peak performance, are reproducible, scalable, cost efficient, redundant, disaster tolerant, and highly secure.
- Works with peers in IT@JH and national and international peers on projects that advance research technology locally and globally.
- Proactively monitors existing on-premises research infrastructure, offer solutions that improve customer experience and workload efficiencies, promote security, as well as troubleshoot and remediate issues that may arise.
- Works on core cloud capabilities to help manage and run an environment with 100's of accounts, projects, and subscriptions.
- Stays current on emerging research technologies and mentor less experienced staff on the team who will deploy and maintain research cloud and hybrid technologies.
- Engages with clients via tickets, email, direct communication channels such as JIRA, Zoom, Teams, and periodic meetings.
- Participates in our scrum process, tracking your work in process, updating JIRA tickets regularly, and peer validating the work of others, participate in weekly planning meetings and technical help sessions, ensuring you understand your work.
- Follows our ticket resolution process to ensure that researchers receive timely responses and correctly set their expectations.
- Diagnose cloud and application performance issues and perform root-cause analysis.
- Handles incident and change management using ServiceNow.
- Uses Git effectively, tracks work in branches, submits pull requests for completed work and always maintain awareness of open branches to ensure clean merges and safe execution of changes.
- Continuously improve our services and create tutorials and videos to assist our customers and enhance the customer experience.
- Will be required to participate in an on-call rotation.
- The current group has 7 team members, and the on-call requirement is one every 7 weeks.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong understanding of the underlying systems and technology to work independently on projects and assigned tasks.
- Hands-on experience with additional non-core AWS, Azure, or GCP cloud services.
- Good problem-solving skills and the ability to work with emerging requirements.
- Strong foundation in Core Cloud Services – Compute, Networking, Storage, automation, infrastructure, and other tasks. You have a portfolio of work that demonstrates your role in designing, implementing, and managing cloud-based and hybrid systems as required in this role.
- Comfortable supporting multiple research efforts, ready to jump into an established, fast-moving team, contribute effectively, be willing and prepared to be coached, and have excellent communication skills with both customers and teammates.
- Dedicated to creating and maintaining secure solutions for sensitive data.
- Brings imagination and purposeful thought to your work, putting conventional ideas together in unconventional ways. You approach problem-solving with curiosity and a fresh perspective, sparking innovation.
- Self-starter who isn’t afraid to try new things, work through ambiguity or take on new challenges.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Six years related experience (Direct programming experience while pursuing education may count towards related experience. Significant undergraduate programming coursework or independent project can be considered as related experience.)
- Additional education may substitute for required experience and additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Experience with specific platform, devices and software listed above on this supplement.
- Advanced experience with public and private cloud platforms like AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud.
Classified Title: Sr. Systems Engineer
Working Title: Research IT Sr. Systems Engineer
Starting Salary Range: Min $84,700 - Max $148,300 Annually (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Mount Washington Campus
Department name: IT@JH Cloud and Virtualization Services
Personnel area: University Administration
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University’s good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate’s conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. The COVID-19 vaccine does not apply to positions located in the State of Florida. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
Mount Washington Campus