Presenting at a tutorial or concurrent session? Here's what to do.
- Submit your final paper(s) by Monday, October 9.
- Let us know who will present at the conference as soon as you know.
- Check our guidelines for presenting
- Upload a PDF of your final slides after you present by Monday, October 30.
Accepted papers must be uploaded to figshare.com, where they will be displayed as part of the Gateways 2017 portal.
Step 1: Before uploading prepare your “camera-ready” version.
Be sure you have used one of the two templates we provided.
Make any corrections or other edits recommended by the reviewers. REVISED LENGTH LIMIT: You are welcome to increase the length of your paper up to a total of 5 pages to accommodate reviewer comments.
At the bottom of the first page in the footer, please add the following:
Presented at Gateways 2017, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, October 23-25, 2017.
Save your file as a PDF, including the name of the lead author(s) and “Gateways 2017” in the file name. If necessary, add another title-related word to the file name to disambiguate from any other papers you are uploading.
Step 2: To upload — Monday, October 9 deadline
Go to https://figshare.com and create an account if you don’t already have one.
- Upload the PDF of your “camera-ready” paper to Figshare. Your upload should include the following items:
- Title: Do not include “Short Paper,” “Demo,” or “Tutorial” in the figshare title
- Categories: Select what fits best.
- Item type: Mark your Item Type as “Paper” or “Fileset.” We request that you upload a PDF of your slides to the same “Item” when they are complete or after you present.
- Keywords: Be sure to include “Gateways 2017” and “Science Gateways”
- Description: Use your Abstract
Click the checkbox near the bottom marked "Publish" and then click the red "Save changes" button.
Go to EasyChair: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=gateways2017
- Login and choose your "Author" role.
- For your accepted submission(s), click the "information" link at the right.
- Click "Update authors" at the top right.
- Select the radio button for the primary "Speaker." If more than one author will present, all presenters can indicate their participation when registering for the conference.
We will have additional details about the projector resolutions soon. In the meantime, please remember:
- Unless you have been otherwise notified, your paper or demo presentation should be 15 minutes long. You will have 5 minutes at the end for Q&A while the next presenter sets up.
This conference will be a multidisciplinary event, bringing together researchers and educators who are seeking technologies and solutions that can be applied to their specific situations. As a result, someone from a very different field may find your work to be translatable to their own project. To aid in knowledge sharing and transfer, here is some advice that came up regularly in reviews and we believe is applicable to all presentations.
- Consider how the content of your presentation may be generalized or made useful to people outside your discipline.
- Place your work in a bigger context; for example, how does your approach differ or learn from that used by other science gateways?
- Identify a few “lessons learned” that would be helpful for others following in your footsteps.
- What resources or advice can you offer that others can take home from the conference?
Screen resolutions in conference rooms
1280 x 800
1024 x 768
1366 x 800
1920 x 1200
1920 x 1200
We will have a PC laptop available at each presentation podium along with the appropriate VGA connectors. If you plan to use your own laptop for your presentation and, in particular, a Mac, please be sure to bring a VGA connector with you. We will have some dongles available but, since there are so many varieties, we can't promise that we'll have the exact connector that matches your computer's ports.
We request that presenters upload a PDF of their final slides to the Gateways 2017 proceedings portal by Monday, October 30.
- Go to https://figshare.com and login to your account.
- You'll see a list of your items. (If not, click the "My data" link or button that should be visible.)
- Hover over your item and click the tiny pencil icon at the far right.
- Drag your PDF presentation file into the box (with the dotted gray outline) designated for adding files.
- There is no need to change other details of your item.
- Click the checkbox near the bottom marked "Publish changes" and then click the green "Save changes" button.
- Close the edit window or type "Esc."