- Published on Saturday, 29 October 2022 22:11
By Linda Hayden and Claire Stirm
The FacultyHack@Gateway2022 involved five teams of Computer Science faculty or one Computer Science and one related discipline area faculty. Faculty adapted High-Performance Computing (HPC) tools for use in their courses. They now have a "ready-to-go" course outline, supporting data, HPC resources. Each team was assigned a technical mentor to help with this process.
Check-ins took place the first 20 minutes of each training session to assess team progress and provide suggestions for success. During the check-ins, teams had two minutes to give their updates. This Hackathon sponsors included SGCI, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, and The Association of Computer Science Departments at Minority Institutions (ADMI). Institutions participating included Winston Salem State University, Norfolk State University, Morehouse College, Austin Community College, North Carolina A&T State University and Elizabeth City State University. Congratulations to The faculty team from WSSU who received the Gateways 2022 Best Conference Poster.
Challenges: Teams completed three challenges.
- Attending all five HPC training sessions
- Gateways 2022 conference attendance
- Poster presentation of revised courses
- A completely revised course description with implementation schedule.
- Assignment of a Gateways community mentor to provide use cases, resources and next step suggestions.
- Robust access to HPC resources for research and instruction.
- Opportunities to collaborate with other HPC educators and technical personnel.
- Understanding of how to collaborate with an educator at their institution on HPC course revisions.
Thanks to support from SGX3 and XSEDE, participants received support to attend the Gateways 2022 conference. Teams shared their results and experiences at the poster session held at Gateways 2022 conference.
The next hack, SC in the City Hackathon (Hack@SC22) is scheduled to kick-off November 3rd! Visit https://hackhpc.github.io/HPCintheCity22/ for more information.