HICSS-58 SWT Proposals
- Published on Monday, 22 January 2024 08:12
Symposia, workshops, and tutorials present an opportunity to explore, discuss, document, and/or add to the literature base on a topic, to which invited authors may present papers that are still in development and not ready for publication. Sessions may be half-day or full-day in length.
A Symposium is a meeting at which several specialists may deliver short talks on the title topic. The session consists primarily of presentations by persons distinguished in the area of research. Also, there may be panel discussions to summarize or encourage a particular research area. A symposium will have a well-defined agenda, specifically allowing for questions and discussion toward the end of the session.
A Workshop, as the name implies, involves “work” by those who attend. The structure may include a few paper presentations, talks, or panels, but, will primarily involve a collaborative activity that will advance thinking and discover new insights, often about a relatively immature area of research. Workshop leaders may structure their session as they desire, which may include inviting specific contributors, or a more general call for contributions. The goal should be specifically defined in the description of the workshop. The output could be a state-of-the-art report, a taxonomy, a research framework, a survey, a research agenda, or some other study that in some way advances the field.
A tutorial is a gathering that is cross-disciplinary in nature and that aims to give participants a brief overview of the subject matter. Some tutorials may be actually advanced seminars that are an in-depth survey of the topic for those who already have significant background in the area under discussion.
Instructions for SWT Proposal Submission:
Please consider submitting your proposal in January – February. Make sure that your proposal includes:
- Type of proposal (symposium, workshop, or tutorial)
- Length of symposium, workshop, or tutorial (half-day or full-day)
- Title of symposium, workshop, or tutorial
- Description of symposium, workshop, or tutorial including:
- Topics that the session will address and how they fit the particular area of research.
- How you plan to carry out your symposium, workshop, or tutorial
- How these topics have recently been covered in other conferences and publications in order to substantiate that HICSS is an appropriate and timely forum for the topics
- Name, affiliation, and contact information of SWT leader(s)
- Each symposium, workshop, or tutorial can have up to 3 SWT leaders.
- Please specify SWT leader who will be the primary contact.
- Short bio-sketch of each SWT leader. This is especially important for first-time presenters, or if your bio needs updating.
- A statement that your organization endorses your involvement and will pay for your travel and registration cost to attend HICSS.
February 28: Deadline for SWT proposal submission (11:59 pm HST)
March 28: Notification of Acceptance/Rejection