AI Research Scientist, Purdue University
- Published on Friday, 26 January 2024 18:54
AI Research Scientist
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a rapidly growing area spanning research and learning at Purdue University. As a Research Scientist in AI, you will have the opportunity to impact the advancement of the state-of-the-art AI methods and applications through cyberinfrastructure solutions. You will collaborate with Purdue faculty and students in the innovative domains from foundational to physical AI, such as multi-modal robotics, autonomous mobility, semiconductors, quantum information science, and information security.
The Research Scientist, will explore/research, recommend, obtain funding for, and execute cyberinfrastructure projects that leverage innovations in artificial intelligence, machine learning, and deep learning. You will establish a national reputation and leadership in Artificial Intelligence applications. You will develop and participate in writing research and funding proposals. This position will provide leadership and technical project management for shared cyberinfrastructure initiatives, especially those enabling AI based innovations. You will evaluate current and future trends in areas of cyberinfrastructure including: simulation, data analysis, algorithms, visualization, AI, machine learning, and deep learning. Partner with Purdue faculty on applications of artificial intelligence.
You will publicize the results of cyberinfrastructure research initiatives through presentations and publications in professional journals and conference proceedings. Establish national reputation and leadership in expertise areas.
The Research Scientist will collaborate with the Purdue Institute of Physical AI (IPAI) in evaluating, testing, deploying AI computing capabilities and hardware, and write, test, script software to benchmark and evaluate computing capabilities in machine-learning, deep-learning and AI applications.
Purdue University’s Rosen Center for Advanced Computing is committed to promoting and advancing all forms of diversity, equity, inclusion and access (DEIA) to create an environment and culture where the uniqueness of individuals is celebrated and persons from all backgrounds can thrive.
Purdue’s Rosen Center for Advanced Computing provides access to leading-edge computational and data storage systems as well as expertise in a broad range of high-performance computing activities. To fulfill our mission, we:
- provide advanced computational resources and services to support Purdue faculty and staff researchers
- evaluate, deploy, and support hardware and software for large-scale scientific computing
- promote the effective use of our research computing systems and application software through training and education, consultation, and documentation
- contribute to the discovery process through research software engineering, including algorithm design and development of effective computing techniques and development of collaboration platforms
What We're Looking For:
Education and Experience:
- PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, or related disciplines.
- Four (4) years relevant hands-on experience in one, or a combination of the following (all of which may occur concurrently with graduate and/or doctoral studies):
- experience with artificial intelligence methods and technologies
- proven success in leading research/cyberinfrastructure proposals
- participating in research endeavor(s) in either computational science or teaching and learning technologies, that are supported in part or wholly by external grants or other supported by external funding sources
- developing software or leveraging cyberinfrastructure within a domain area
- publication of scholarly papers and/or conference proceedings
- teaching, instruction or mentoring of undergraduate or graduate students within an institution of higher education or a similar environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skills in artificial intelligence methods and technologies
- Demonstrated skills in self-motivation, analytical, and problem-solving skill
- Demonstrated project management skills with the ability to plan, organize and prioritize tasks, and complete projects with minimal supervision
- Ability to:
- work as part of a high performing team in a collaborative environment
- work positively in an inclusive and diverse environment
- mentor other professionals
- Experience with AI frameworks such as PyTorch or Tensorflow
- Demonstrated experience in AI algorithms evident in public GitHub repositories
- Demonstrated ability to effectively mentor staff and students
- Good verbal and written English communication skills including the ability to consult with researchers
- Ability to effectively make presentations and develop and present training material
- Ability to develop documentation
- Purdue University will not sponsor employment authorization for this position
- A background check will be required for employment in this position
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contribution Waiting Period
- Purdue University is an EEO/AA employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply
- Benefit Statement: Purdue University offers a substantial Benefit Package including medical, dental, and vision insurance as well as a generous paid time off package for sick and vacation days